Massage is the process of rubbing or kneading a person’s body to release the unwanted stress that builds up in a person’s daily life. It is noticed that usually, when the masseuse applies strong or gentle pressure, like the muscles and joints, they tend to ease tension or pain in certain areas. There are different kinds of massages for other body parts, out of which leg massage is today’s topic. It’s simple but at the same time could complicate the leg pains if done wrong.
In the below article, I will mention the techniques and research done by scientists around the world. Depending on what the problem is, the type of message changes. These days you do get a massage machine, but these machines, but is an emergency when you stand there asking yourself, how to massage your leg? You might not have a solution for it.
This article will help you learn the proper techniques for simple but effective leg massaging. This massaging might be clinically proven, but visit a doctor when you have severe pain or pull on your leg.
How does a leg massage help the foot?
A massage can stimulate the nervous system and enhance blood circulation since we are talking about a leg massage, in this case, increasing the blood circulation in your leg. A leg massage can reap the benefits of releasing tension from tired muscles and relieving sore muscles after a leg day at the gym.
Depending on the pressure level, the benefit can change. When a football player has a sprain, the Physical therapy team helps him with removing the sprain. When a teacher is tired from all the standing around they had to do during a lecture, the teacher goes to a masseuse for a nice relaxing massage.
Massage leg for yourself, for the entire leg:
There are a few different methods you can use to give yourself a good massage. Self Massage can improve the blood flow and relieve pain. Switch legs and make sure to keep a check on how much pressure you apply.
Sometimes getting a massage from a professional massage therapist can help, but now and then, self-massage is the way to go. Years ago, gurus used these methods to cure a few health issues.
The Percussion motion method focused on the upper leg:-
This method is also commonly known as the Chopping method. You will have to use both your hands for this method, mainly for the calf and thigh portions of your leg.
The steps you should follow are mentioned below:
- For the left foot, fold your right hand into a fist and place it on the ankle. Alternatively, place the left hand next to it, with the pinky side in a chopping motion. And Vice Versa for your other leg.
- Now alternatively, hit these two hands onto your legs in a synchronized manner. One hand fisted, the other chopping technique.
- Make your way up till the knees and back down to the ankle. You can also concentrate on a particular area with a sore spot.
- For a normal full leg massage, move your hands around your leg.
The Stroking motion method:-
This is more of a gentle massage, where you can use one hand or both hands. This method can be used for both the Top and Bottom of your legs.
The steps to follow:
- Start with placing your fingers on your leg, palm facing your leg, slightly spreading your fingers. In case you want more impact use your palm or your wrist.
- Next, apply pressure with your fingers while moving your hand up and down your lower leg. Make sure to apply enough pressure to feel the pressure on your muscles.
- Gently move your fingers in the same motion up to your hips and back to your ankles.
- For good results, repeat this motion at least 10 times.
The Kneading and Squeezing motion method:-
Imagine kneading dough for bread. If you know how that is done, this method will be easy and a little more practical. You can use one or both of your hands. For better results, I recommend you to use both of your hands.
The steps to follow:
- Start with slightly cupping your palms and wrapping them around your legs, starting from your ankle—one at a time.
- Pressing your legs with your hands, make sure to go slowly and apply pressure on your sore muscles. Use your thumb to apply more pressure.
- Continue this motion up to your hips and back down to the ankles, also all around for both the legs.
- Try repeating this method for a minimum period of 3 minutes.
Let me mention a few tips for better results –
Use a lubricant like oil or lotion to reduce the friction, making it easy to move your hands up and down your legs. You can be seated for the whole massage or stand for the upper part and sit down for the lower.
Remember that fingers are used for light pressure, and more substantial pressure, use your thumbs, elbow, fist, or knuckles. When trying to relax your feet, make sure the muscle is stretched for the entire leg. A great way to relax your muscle is to use warm oil.
Learn to massage leg and foot for others:
The techniques mentioned above can be used to massage another person. They will feel a similar release of tension, pain, or soreness on their legs. When you are trying to give a fulfilled sensation of massage to someone. The best way for a massage
The below-mentioned steps are to be followed:
- First, make sure the person lies down in a comfortable position, with their back facing the bottom.
- Start with any one of the legs. Add 2-3 drops of oil to your palms, and rub your palms together. Place your thumbs onto their soles, and start kneading and rubbing their soles—a little extra pressure on their heel.
- Next, make your way to the top of the foot. Rub the foot with your fingers while applying more pressure, making sure not to hurt the person. Pull their toes towards you.
- Start to stroke upwards to the calf muscles area. Rub the calf muscles with both hands using strokes upward.
- Continue moving upwards to the thighs. Make sure to get inner thighs and all the muscles on the thighs, the front and sides. Also, make sure to continue this for a few minutes for circulation on the legs.
- Make sure to switch from light pressure, moderate pressure, and high pressure, depending on the size of the muscles.
- Ask the person to switch sides, lay with their stomach to the bottom, and give them a hamstring massage. Use the Chopping method for this part of the legs.
- Once you are done with one leg, move to the other leg.
- Apply 2-3 more drops of oil or lotion for the cherry on top and pull the person’s legs from top to bottom. Make a swift motion from one foot to another.
For the knee, make sure you don’t press it too hard. Just move over and around using your thumbs, be careful while working around bones. The calves might need more attention, be sure to relax them by massaging a while longer. Use your thumb to rub their feet muscle gently.
The thigh is an area with weight and muscle. Your fingers might not penetrate through, so use your elbow knee or warm oil to release pain or tension. When the person has relaxed, their muscles loosen up, which tells you what you are doing is right.
If the person is looking for massage therapy right after exercise, ask them to stretch first. Since the muscles tighten up after an exercise, it is best to let the muscle breathe before a massage.
Look out for weak knee people; massages might cause a severe problem if you are not careful.
There are methods for blood circulation like Hip bend, Hamstring Stretch, Foot bend, and toe bend. These methods can easily be found on youtube.
There are object-induced massages for people who exercise like tennis ball massages, a foam rolling pin, a roller stick, and a rollerball. These items are placed at the trigger points for both the lower and upper parts. People usually roll a rubber ball on their hamstrings, the ball is kept on your back, or sometimes the ball is kept below your foot.
You can lean forward, making sure you stretch before workouts to reduce pain post-workout.
Ideal situations when you should not massage yourself or get massage services:
- When you have painful varicose veins due to your body weight.
- Especially when you have a blood clot on your thigh or calves.
- When you diseases like Peripheral neuropathy, Deep vein Thrombosis, diabetes, etc.
- There is a high risk of developing blood clots when you are pregnant.
- When your bones are brittle due to Osteoporosis.
Professional Massage Therapist, some massage techniques:
They ask you to be open to the massage process. You should not eat right before a massage session and communicate about your oil or lotion allergies with your massage therapist. They also ask you to be open about your body health. Make sure to be in a relaxed state before a massage. And drink lots of water after your massaging session.
Massage therapy for feet, thigh, toes, calves, and heel feels excellent when the massage is focused on the main trigger points of the foot. When you apply firm pressure, it tends to reduce the tension and pain in your leg muscles, and when the pressure is light and gentle, it helps in a relaxing way. Just let yourself go and get a leg massage.